Tuesday, November 13, 2012

On the Line

Now You Know Before You Go 

I've long used the saying, "You don't know unless you go" when it comes to fishing conditions. 

I once lived 20 miles inland, but could look up at clouds before dawn and tell if the wind was strong on the coast.  I could look at heavy the dew on my truck windshield and know that I may need a raincoat. 

That was way before sophisticated home computers, and the Internet. And smart phones. 

Weather was unpredictable, and still kinda is, but now there is less need for guesswork.
You're less likely to get blindsided, unless you're wearing blinders.
Every day, whether I am going fishing or not, I run through a quick check of  four or five web sites, and now apps, that tell me what to expect. Or, that tell me to go back to bed. 

From behind a cup of Joe and my iPad, I can remotely see the coast, the beach, the inlet, and even a main launch ramp in town every five minutes, thanks to web cams. Better yet, I can determine sea, wind, and other weather conditions thanks to Doppler, sea swell charts, you name it. If its a no-go today, well, what about tomorrow, or even a week out?  

These days, you can know, even before you go. 
 
                                                                                --Mike Conner, Editor-in-Chief

No comments:

Post a Comment